Defenseman Luke Walker is a 22-year-old graduate student in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Southern California. He previously attended the University of Wyoming for undergrad, where he played for four years with the Cowboys.
In addition to hockey, Luke also played soccer and has an affinity for kayaking.Born in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Luke was inspired by his parents and friends to play hockey at the age of four. Luke insists that it requires no work to love this demanding sport, “I have been playing basically all my life. It’s not hard to keep loving hockey.”
An effervescent person both on and off the ice, Luke believes that “there is no such thing as too much fun” in life. Watching him play hockey or spending time with him off the ice, it is easy to realize that Luke loves to enjoy every moment and live it to the fullest.
Over his 18-year career, there have been many memorable events that Luke can be proud of. However, winning state and placing second at the Rocky Mountain Regionals are particularly special to him, “There were two years in high school that we won Wyoming State and then went to the Rocky Mountain Regional Tournament and lost in the championship.
Luke brings his experience to the Trojans, and has made his presence known on defense, with bone crushing hits worthy of the highlight reel. Just this past weekend, Luke annihilated an LMU player that sent the player’s body and hockey stick flying in opposite directions. While the crowd was riled up, Luke just looked back at his team on the bench with an accomplished look on his face. Moments like these show just how much of his heart and soul he puts into the game.
Get to know Luke:
1. If you could trade places with any NHL player, living or dead, who would it be and why? Peter Forsberg (recently retired from the Colorado Avalanche)
2. If Hollywood were to make a movie about your life, who would play you? Chuck Norris
3. What would the title of your movie be? Walker, Wyoming Ranger
4. If you could time travel to any time before our own, which would it be and why? 1960 and on because you could do whatever you want.
5. Cats or Dogs: Cats
6. Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate
7. Favorite pasta shape? Bowtie
8. What is your favorite language other than your native language? Spanish
9. Your favorite color M&M? Blue
10. The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Who on your team survives, is the first killed, the one who has a plan to survive such an event, and the one who has secretly been a zombie all along. This one has already been answered.
11. Favorite holiday. Why? Thanksgiving for good food and good friends
12. Coke or Pepsi? Gatorade in a double gulp with lots of water
13. Do you prefer hot or cold weather? Cold
14. Do you have a nickname? Wyoming
15. Last song you heard? Right back where we started from... slapshot
16. What is your signature dish? Eggs, bacon, and taters
17. Most recorded show on your DVR? Prison Break
18. If you were an animal which would you be? Peregrine Falcon
19. What is the last book you read? Outliers
20. What super power would you have? Fly
21. Favorite pick up line? Bad dance moves + big grin
22. Your favorite meal? Breakfast
23. How did you end up playing the position that you play? How did you decide on your jersey number? 27 in high school because it was one of the only numbers left.
24. Favorite NHL team? Avalanche
25. Who is your inspiration? Coach fer sure
26. Favorite pre-game meal? Spaghetti
27. What do you do to pass the time on the plane when you fly to away games? Watch movies and talk with the team
28. What do you do to pass the time between games when you are on the road? Usually homework and experience the town.
29. Favorite away game location? Pig barn in Nebraska
30. Before each game, I must... Pick up Ernst and Sunshine
31. After graduation, I am going to... Travel for a while